simple is beautiful
Digital Traveler: Julie Andrews' New Book
2 ... 2 ...

Wednesday 9 April 2008

Julie Andrews' New Book


I find it awkward writing about Julie Andrews because her name brings forth my youth.

Since last week her name comes up over and over again--

*I visited Grauman's Chinese Theatre last week and took the picture above.
*Last night I went to the bookstore and a zillion copies of her new memoir, Home: A Memoir of My Early Years appeared at the front of the store.
*I just realized that her role of governess in the 60s had her moving from family to family--from the Banks of Mary Poppins to the Von Traps of the Sound of Music.

Her image of wholesomeness litters my head as spoons full of sugar and hills that are alive.

The first thing I did when I saw the book in the store was turn to the picture plates (there are two plates of images in the book).

I was madly disappointed in what I saw! Very young Julie Andrews didn't look like Julie Andrews. From the freckles on her face on the front cover, to her curly hairdo in the pictures, Julie didn't live up to the looks that we know she presents today, which look strikingly like they did 40 years ago when she was in her early 20s.

I find comfort, though, that my thoughts are calmed when I think about starting things at the beginning, which is a very nice place to start. In knowing this I find a perfect cure for procrastination.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL