simple is beautiful
Digital Traveler: Inside the Subway Inside Paris
2 ... 2 ...

Monday 15 October 2007

Inside the Subway Inside Paris


Inside a subway station in Paris

The last time I wrote about the subway I recalled a station in Paris.

In today's post I focus on the tunnel shape of the subway, because, after all, that what the subway is all about, traveling through a tunnel to go anywhere you want.

In terms of photography, inside a subway is photo gold. You don't need a flash, because the white florescent light that glares everywhere under the ground is ample for photography.

Finding the natural shape of the hole that has been dug underground is a hoot. You can shoot it from any angle and have an interesting shot.

One of my favorite things to do in Paris is to get on the subway and get off at a stop that's picked randomly.

Every time, I end up in a neighborhood filled with small shops, bakeries, meat shops and hot food shops. I eat my way into oblivion. I sometimes end up in an Arab part of town where lamb bakes on giant skewers and where the baklava is gooey with honey sticking to flaky crust.

The reason I always end up in a really cool place no matter where I stop in the subway in Paris is because the city is divided into arrondissements, or sections that extend outward from the city's center.

The arrondissements are numbered and each has a feature that's worth seeing. Here's a great description of each.

Whether I find myself in the Latin Quarter (the 5ème arrondissement) or in the Champs Elysèe (8ème arrondissement); I always see, smell, taste, hear or touch something amazing, because the city of Paris, really, is one great big museum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL