simple is beautiful
Digital Traveler: Big, Fat Pigs for Christmas Dinner and Other Guatemalan Tales
2 ... 2 ...

Friday 24 November 2006

Big, Fat Pigs for Christmas Dinner and Other Guatemalan Tales

Yesterday...was such a lovely day...How sweet it was--

A Day in San Jose (not Costa Rica nor California)

Began the day eating way too many carbs. ZZZZZZZzzzzzz. But after two naps, I was ready for my appointment to tour San Jose and San Andres, two towns about 35 kidney-shaking minutes down the road from La Lancha (Coopola's resort).

My driver, happy on the way to Tikal, but distressed on this day, was more than happy to show me around his neck of the woods, San Jose, Guatamala, no movie theaters, but gorgeous lake-side views among brilliant tropical color--greens of palms, blues of the lakes, and multiple colors of the architecture.

My trip:
San Jose tour--Find out my guide is unhappy when I see rows of people sitting in plastic green chairs along a long wall in the middle of this very cute town. Guide tells of funeral wait. Guide also lets me know that the funeral is for his wife's aunt :( and he can't go cause he has to work. Tell him I'll go along if he wants. No answer. Next, drive up to small home. Guide's wife and small child (girl) walk out to say hi. So cute.

Before Gym--yes, I have to go to the gym. Gym, located in San Andres, was closed :( Waited for guide to find owner to open. Pigs, dogs, chickens, and Guatamalan turkeys (they look like peacocks passed). The wait was like being in an open zoo. After a half-hour, very nice looking man in wheelchair, owner of the gym, opens the door. A tropical gust pushes us inside.

During Gym--I work out in polyester white pants (how could I, My sheer existance spelled G-r-i-n-g-o). Crowd gathers. I beg for someone to join me at my power lifting feats. All decline. They sit and watch me.


Lunch--Villa Benjamin
in San Jose. Brand-spankin'
new place with wild lake view.
Order large pizza for me and my guide.
Takes an hour.
Made from scratch. Tasty.
Piping hot with tons of tomatoes and
tons of sauce and tons of cheese. Yum.

Back to Hotel
--Yes, vehicle looks like a semi, without the tractor, it's a Kia. The ride is kidney cracking, road not paved with more potholes than craters on moon.

Funniest Moment
Huge pig passes by
while I waited for guide to find
man-in-wheelchair
to open gym. Another young man
walks up to me, points to pig,
and lets me know that it will be
Christmas dinner. Oh fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL