simple is beautiful
Digital Traveler: Colonial Charm in Antigua Guatemala
2 ... 2 ...

Friday 17 November 2006

Colonial Charm in Antigua Guatemala



I've set a foot before in many colonial towns, but this one is different from the rest. The streets are wider. Hello from Antigua, Guatemala. After one of the nicest flights I've ever flown, a two-hour hop from Palm Springs to Dallas, then a short train ride at the airport to the next plane which just began to board as I got there, and, last, a three-hour ride to Guatamala City, I was almost to my final destination, one so close, yet so far.

My ride to Antigua was about an hour, after which, I checked into my hotel-- a lush and well-appointed bed-and-breakfast called the Cloister. Barrelling with hunger my partner asked our host where to eat. She informed us about the "noisy" Mexican restaurant, Freida Kalho's, around the corner where they had "to die for" mango chicken.

We went there, I ate the mango chicken. And guess what? I really did die. It was that good. I'm in heaven now sitting in a toasty room filled with Mayan-patterned fabrics that cover the pillows, the beds, the floors and the walls. Yes, my friends, I'm in Mayan-land. Come join me for the next few days while I show you a tour of the best that Guatemala has to offer.

The pic above was taken at the good 'ole 1600 ISO setting, one that seems to never fail me at night when I don't have a tripod.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL